Friday, January 16, 2015

Ninjevade Game Review: A Game of Ninjas, Shurikens and Quick Thumb Reflex


Have you tried playing Flappy Bird? It’s a simple yet addictive game because of its challenging gameplay. I found a game that reminded me how I felt when playing Flappy Bird, but this time it’s not about birds and pipes. It’s about a ninja battling other ninjas in an endless shuriken war. Ninjevade, created by independent developer Matthew Burton, is a simple and addicting game that tests how fast you react and deflect or dodge the ninja stars thrown at your ninja.

The main objective of the game is to deflect incoming shurikens, also known as ninja stars, or dodge it by jumping. Killing an opponent ninja will grant you points. The more ninjas killed, the higher the points.

Controls are simple. Just tap on the a specific areas of the screen to either deflect shurikens or jump to dodge them as shown on this screenshot.


Deflecting a shuriken will kill your opponent and earn a point. Also remember that you only have one life. If you got hit, your ninja dies and the round ends.

There are times that two ninjas will appear on both sides. You will need to dodge both shurikens by jumping and killing both ninjas in the process.



If there is only one ninja on one side and you evaded his attack, that ninja will continue throwing ninja stars at you until you kill that ninja.

The game also features colored belts that represent your prowess of a talented ninja. You can unlock a certain belt when you acquire the required points. Once unlocked, the colored belt will be worn on your ninja.

There are 9 colored belts:
  • White Belt (0-4 points)
  • Yellow Belt (5-9 points)
  • Orange Belt (10-19 points)
  • Green Belt (20-39 points)
  • Blue Belt (40-69 points)
  • Purple Belt (70-99 points)
  • Brown Belt (100-139 points)
  • Red Belt (140-119 points)
  • Black Belt (200 points and above)

I got lucky on one round and earned a score of 10 which granted me an Orange Belt on my character and an achievement. Unlocking a belt also awards you an achievement. There are also other achievements in the game like not killing a ninja for 30 seconds and playing the game for 10 times after earning a score of less than 5 (which I’m good at).


The game features a classic 8-bit design which looks similar to those classic video games. The setting sun on the background casts a silhouette of the ninjas and gives out a dramatic effect on the game.

Ninjevade’s simple and catchy game style is addicting and fun, but sometimes annoying when you die all the time and can’t get past your previous score. The ninjas are pretty fast and unpredictable. Sometimes they caught me by surprise that made me jump a bit from my chair or made squeal as I try to avoid the shurikens yet failed to do so.

Despite that annoyance, the drive to excel and to beat my own score drives me to play the game over and over again, until I have to force myself to stop playing because I have to write this review or answer the call of nature. Playing Ninjevade kinda reminds me how I felt when playing Flappy Bird.



I was curious about how the other players did in the game so I checked the leaderboard via Google’s Play Games app and found out that the player on the number 1 spot scored about 7 million points, while the 2nd and 3rd rank scored below 500 points. I couldn’t even get pass 10 points!

You certainly need to try playing to experience the thrill, fun, excitement, disappointments, annoyance, and all sorts of feelings I felt in this game. Ninjevade can be downloaded for free from the Google Play Store and doesn’t have ads. Kudos for developer Matthew for keeping his game totally ad-free.


What do you think about Ninjevade? How much is your high score? Post your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment